Sunday, January 15, 2012

pantry challenge

So, part of being a homemaker is to also make and live by a budget. This is hard to do when you a) love buying food and b)have 4 males to cook for. I thoroughly enjoy going to Trader Joe's and just buying anything that looks different and yummy. I mean, I sometimes will do this 2 or 3 days a week, for fun. After a while it really catches up with you and your budget. Like many people, at the beginning of a fresh new year, I am trying to stick to a budget and not be so free with the money I spend on things, especially food.
When I attach the word challenge to something, I instantly feel compelled to do and accomplish. Our family has had challenges for many a variety of things. TV watching challenge? check. No eating out challenge? check. No spending money challenge? check. You get the point. We are suckers for a challenge, a little competitve? uh, maybe.
Right now we are doing a pantry challenge, this is not a new concept, I know. But, it is needed in this house. I am amazed at the things I am finding in my pantry, and extra feezer. Here is a snippet: jarred roasted peppers, sundried tomatoes, peanuty satay sauce, frozen squash from last summer's garden, frozen bbq pork from a while back. It's nice knowing that my pantry does have shelves and isn't one solid space of food, stacked and shoved together like a Jenga tower. Wow!

Some meals and desserts I am making (without having to buy a thing):
chicken pot pie with puff pastry top
caramel apple pie
chicken skewers with peanut satay dipping sauce
muligatawny over cous, cous
creamy potato/vegetable soup
tamale bake

I wonder how long I can do this for, with only buying eggs and milk to supplement?

1 comment:

  1. You could just have an Iron Chef competition with your husband using only things you have in your house already... oh wait, didn't you do that? :)

    ReplyDelete